Living Within the Means God has Provided for you.

I have been a stay at home mom since 2003, although living on one fairly small income has been challenging, God has always provided for our family. With a Gross income of aproximately $20,000 we own our own home, actually have two running vehicles and want for very little. Lots of people complain about not having enough money to pay their bills. I have a hard time understanding why. On a monthly basis, we make a mere $1, 356, I had no clue til recently how low that really was. Its funny, but being Poor is more of a mentality than an actuality for most of us.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Taco Soup Improved

This was an improvised recipe that we really liked.

The original recipe was
14.5 ounce Rotel Tomatoes
1lb ground beef
1 can each
Beef Broth
Corn
kidney beans
Chili beans all undrained
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch dressing
and 1-2 cans water
Cook in Crock pot all day.

Now we like the original recipe, but since we just moved, I still don't know where everything is, and I didn't realize what we wanted early enough to crock pot this meal.

I used 1 can rotel tomatoes, 1 can beef Broth, 1 can corn, that was it for following the recipe.
I did not have (or could not find) Kidney or chili beans, so I used one can refried and 1 can of Black beans, I do not buy Taco seasoning packets (we buy a huge jar) or Ranch dressing mix, so I used about a quarter cup of powdered taco seasoning, and left out the ranch altogether.
Then, I added some salsa because it seemed a bit bland (we like things hot and spicey here)
I cooked up about 3 lbs of ground beef, divided it into 4 meals, putting 3 away for other uses....and cooked the soup on the stove.

When it was done, We topped it with Mexican Quesadilla cheese blend (asiago, monterey jack, and white cheddar I think), sour cream, and tortilla strips, next time, I think I am gonna make my black beans from scratch and switch the tortilla strips for a quarter bag of doritos, that way we aren't tempted to nibble the strips til they are gone.

No comments: