Living Within the Means God has Provided for you.

I have been a stay at home mom since 2003, although living on one fairly small income has been challenging, God has always provided for our family. With a Gross income of aproximately $20,000 we own our own home, actually have two running vehicles and want for very little. Lots of people complain about not having enough money to pay their bills. I have a hard time understanding why. On a monthly basis, we make a mere $1, 356, I had no clue til recently how low that really was. Its funny, but being Poor is more of a mentality than an actuality for most of us.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Quality Investments

Ok, Two posts in one day is kind of strage, but it did not quite fit with the other post.

When making a purchase, think about its usage and how much things really cost.

I have to replace a 4 slice toaster sometime, I am not sure when because it is currently working as a two slice toaster and I am GOING to find out what the best toaster is out there before I buy another one.

I paid $20 for this toaster about 8 months ago, that means it cost me $2.50 per month to make toast. That is pretty expensive toast, don't you think? It was a cheap toaster, I needed a toaster, but I am not happy with the money I wasted. Is a $10 toaster a better deal if it lasts only 6 months? Yes, it cost $1.66 a month at that rate, but say it only toasts two slices, is it still a better deal? Possibly, but maybe not, because being used twice as much, it may only last half as long, at that rate, it is now over $3 a month to use.

I am not going to be replacing my $20 toaster with another cheap toaster, but rather hoping to find one that will last more than a year. A $30 toaster that last two years only cost about $1.25 a month.

Now, even at $2.50 a month, it is still saving us money to have a toaster, that saves us from going out to eat, I can put a bagel in the toaster, add 1 Tbsp cream cheese and I have a good meal for under 50 cents a day. When I was working at Breakfast time, I could not even buy a bagel at work for under 75 cents.

How much do you REALLY pay for what you own?

No comments: