Living Within the Means God has Provided for you.

I have been a stay at home mom since 2003, although living on one fairly small income has been challenging, God has always provided for our family. With a Gross income of aproximately $20,000 we own our own home, actually have two running vehicles and want for very little. Lots of people complain about not having enough money to pay their bills. I have a hard time understanding why. On a monthly basis, we make a mere $1, 356, I had no clue til recently how low that really was. Its funny, but being Poor is more of a mentality than an actuality for most of us.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

When all Else fails, our new endeavor

Ok, nothing really failed, but at the same time, something in me hit hard this year. I want to go back to work, not just any job, but REALLY go back to work, I want to go back to school, get a degree, and go get a real job. We will still be nearly a one Income family when I am working as DH will drop down to just part time and be the one homeschooling our DD.

I have decided, and applied, to go to school to be a nurse. I was studying to do that in college a little over 10 years ago, but things just weren't right back then. I feel God had me there to discover who I was rather than get an education since I couldn't tell you anything I actually learned while there and to prove it, only 2 classes could potentially transfer over. I had a terrible time settling into any one path...which is how it was supposed to be because Nothing would be the way it is today had I continued in school, graduated with an actual degree in a field.

I would have been a work-a-holic (worse than when I met DH) I would not have had our daughter because there wouldn't have been time. I would not have moved to the Detroit area because I would have not have even come back to Michigan. I certainly would not know how to make the best of what we have, because I would have been making enough to spend without thinking (and that is in my genes)

So, now that I am going to be going back to school, We will be getting all of our debt under control (a lot easier with an income that actually exceeds what you actually OWE in any month)
Dh will only continue working to provide for Social Security reasons. His income will all be savings and investments (oh and play money, entertainment really is nescessary sometimes)

I am very excited for what we have learned and grateful that God will be able to work in this new chapter of our lives. I like that healthcare cannot be outsourced to China or elsewhere making it a lot more stable career than what DH is doing in manufacturing as well.

No comments: